Thursday 24 March 2011

What I did last week end...


Last weekend I went to a friend and we made fresh fettucine from scratch. I have made gnocchi several times but I don't recall ever making fresh pasta (in the traditional sense) before... It was pretty fun!

And the sauce we enjoyed the pasta with, mmmmmm... I cannot wait to try it again... with rice this time! (yep, I am a real sucker for rice)

Saffron, tomato and coconut milk sauce
Adapted from Karen Mintzias recipe

250g grape or cocktail tomatoes
4 tsp oil (divided)
1 garlic clove finely minced
6 saffron threads or 1 pinch powdered saffron
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
black pepper
fresh basil leaves

3. Place the tomatoes in a small oven dish and coat with oil. Cook in a preheated oven at 200°C for 20 minutes or until soft and slightly brown.

2. In a saucepan, heat oil over moderately-high heat. Add garlic and saffron and .

3. Stir in coconut milk and lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently a couple of minutes, until sauce is heated through and flavors have blended.

Serve sauce ladled over pasta (or rice!), garnished with a generous amount of thinly sliced fresh basil.

This sauce is delicious, but to be honest I didn't really feel the saffron. Next time I'll just replace it by a pinch of turmeric and why not some grated galangal or ginger.


No comments:

Post a Comment