Monday 8 November 2010

Lemon cake


When I was living in Göteborg, my flatmate and I would talk for hours over a cup of tea and I would not feel so nostalgic about London during the long Swedish winter... The irony is that now I feel nostalgic about the times we had together :) But the good thing is that I have just found the perfect cake to enjoy along a warm drink!

I found the original recipe on have cake, will travel but I slightly modified the ingredient list (something that has become more of an automatism when I use American - or Canadian - recipes) and I have to say I am glad I did. I am not a big fan of cakes like this one generally because I find them too often way too dry or on the contrary too doughy and heavy. This cake is perfect (and this is not overrated!): moist, moist, did I say moist?, light, fluffy and delicately flavoured.

Lemon cake
Serves 6-8. Takes 45 minutes

1 1/2 cup (185g) flour
2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup (120g) sugar
1/2 cup (120ml) rapeseed oil
1 cup (240g) vanilla yoghurt (I used Alpro® soya, thick and creamy, not sure it would work the same with a more liquid yoghurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Juice and zest of one lemon
Confectioner's sugar
for dusting



1. Preheat oven to 180° and grease your cake pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder and sugar. Add soy yoghurt, sugar, oil, extract, juice and zest and stir well.

3. Pour the batter into your cake pan and bake for 35 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.

In short, this cake is one of the easiest I have ever baked, and one of the best. I made mine yesterday and it's almost gone (and we're just two people in the house!). I told you, it's perfect! It only takes around 10 minutes to prepare but after that you just have to be patient: you should wait at least one hour to remove the cake from the pan (otherwise it might break) and it's better enjoyed the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment