Wednesday 30 June 2010

Vegan lemon risotto


To celebrate our graduation, my classmates and I went to a nice Italian restaurant. Although the menu didn't show anything vegetarian, the waiter hastened to see if it was possible to make something specially for me... And because it was Sweden, it wasn't a big deal. The chef was even happy to improvise.

When the waiter asked me to chose between pasta and risotto, I opted for the later without hesitation. Because I loooooooove risotto. Furthermore, it is always a good choice at restaurant because it cannot be made in advance. It was delicious, and something I had never tasted before: lemon risotto!

Risotto is something I have done for quite a while now, and as soon as I had the occasion I tried to make this one myself. And well, I believe it was pretty close to what I was served at the restaurant (and pretty good).

Lemon risotto
Serves 4. Takes about 25 min.

4 tbs of olive oil, divided
1 onion, finely chopped
300 g risotto rice (carnaroli or arborio)
10 cl white wine
75 cl of vegetable stock, at simmering point
zest and juice of 1 organic lemon
salt and pepper
2 tbs of liquid vegan cream (type imat)

1. In a pan, heat 2 tbs of oil and add the onion. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, to soften. They shouldn't get brown or golden.

2. Add the rest of the oil and mix in the rice. Let it fry for 2 minutes on low heat until it becomes translucent.

3. Add the wine and let it be absorbed. Then add progressively the stock, ladle by ladle, which you would have previously heat and kept at the simmering point. Stir well.

4. After 10 minutes, add the lemon zest. Keep stirring. It should take for about 10 more minutes until the rice is al dente.

5. Add the salt and pepper, the lemon juice just before serving, as well as the cream. You can serve with (vegan) parmigiano and roasted asparagus.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment